Psoriasis scalp is the most wide-spread psoriasis form. Clinical signs of psoriasis scalp are red flaky spots covering the scalp, inflammatory processes and itching. Psoriasis scalp doesn’t put your health at a big risk but often triggers psychological complexes development and social isolation due to unattractive appearance: this body part is visible and repulsive plaques are hard to hide. Psoriasis scalp may emerge in people of all the age categories but is more often observed in young people. Psoriasis scalp is also called seborrheic psoriasis, although this term is also relevant for the other affected areas of the skin with a high density of sebaceous glands - the behind-the-ear areas, nasolabial folds, breasts and interpupillary area. As a rule, psoriasis on scalp first manifests itself with skin flaking that resembles dandruff. The emergence of plaques is accompanied by itching, and the skin in this area gets covered with silvery scales. It is important to know that psoriasis scalp, even at its expressed inflammatory process fase, doesn’t trigger hair loss which is the hallmark of this disease.
Symptoms of psoriasis scalp
The initial signs of psoriasis on scalp is psoriatic rash. In the beginning, the rash manifests itself in the form of a papule of pink color, it can be round in shape, covered with small scales on top. A characteristic feature of such papules is peripheral growth accompanied by the formation of plaques.
1. At the early stage of psoriasis on scalp there are no pronounced clinical symptoms. Most patients do not make any complaints.
2. Development of psoriasis scalp leads to the appearance of mild ecdysis, which is accompanied by pruritus and irritation.
3. The next stage is characterized by the addition of an inflammatory process, increased itching and irritation.
4. Combing the skin becomes the cause of the appearance of small cracks, abrasions, wounds.
5. Further progression of psoriasis on scalp leads to the replacement of scaling with large-sized plaques, thickening and coarsening of the skin.
6. A typical symptom of psoriasis scalp is exfoliation of epithelial cells on the scalp and the formation of whitish dandruff.
7. Over time, the scales increase in size, thicken and begin to resemble white flakes.
8. The skin is covered with large red scaly plaques, there is an increase itching. Combing the skin and irritation it causes damage the skin, leading to an aggravation of the condition and further exacerbation of the disease.
9. There is a significant decrease in the skin elasticity, as a result, it is easily affected.
10. Further progression of psoriasis is manifested by more vivid symptoms: active exfoliation of the tubercles and plaques formed on the scalp results in the emergence of grayish scales that gradually cover the entire scalp.
11. Incorrect psoriasis scalp treatment leads to the spread of the skin inflammation process beyond the hair growth line.
Causes of psoriasis scalp
Psoriasis scalp is a mysterious disease and it is hard for contemporary scientists to explain its emergence and find best psoriasis scalp treatment. Every year, more and more new theories arise about what is causing the inflammatory reaction and excessive synthesis of skin cells on the body in patients. The leading hypothesis is genetic: according to it, some people have a congenital predisposition to accelerated renewal of keratinocytes, which, in case of manifestation of the disease, leads to a specific reaction of the immune system. The result is a vicious circle: the more new cells that form psoriatic plaques are produced, the more active is skin inflammation (the organism perceives it as something alien), and the more severely the skin is injured under the influence of immune system cells, the more actively keratinocytes are divided.
In some cases, the starting point of the development of psoriasis scalp becomes the immune system pathology, which in turn is a consequence of severe stress or an infectious disease. Thus, it is noted that among HIV-infected people, psoriasis on scalp occurs three times more often than the average in the population.
Proponents of all existing theories today converge in one: psoriasis is a multifactorial illness, and its development is associated with many causes. The most frequent ones are:
- Disfunction of metabolic processes;
- Endocrine disorders;
- Immunological shifts;
- The presence of foci of inflammation in the body;
- Infectious diseases;
- Changes in hormonal status - this cause is relevant in adolescence, during pregnancy and in the onset of menopause;
- Injuries leading to scalp dysfunction;
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract organs
- Nervous tension;
- Stress states;
- Prolonged skin exposure to low temperature
- Exposure to toxic compounds;
- Medicine intake;
- Bad habits.
In the course of pathology, several stages are distinguished:
1. Progressing – during this stage new elements appear, and existing eruptions spread to the periphery (the so-called Kebner phenomenon).
2. Stationary - during this phase, no new pathological elements appear, but the old ones also do not disappear.
3. Regressive, during which the symptoms of psoriasis scalp gradually disappear, and rash is replaced by pigmentless spots.
Depending on the season, the manifestations of psoriasis on scalp are distinguished by the autumn, off-season and summer forms.
Psoriasis scalp treatment
In order to conduct effective scalp psoriasis treatment, a set of measures is taken, including:
- General therapy;
- Topical treatment;
- Physiotherapeutic procedures;
- Spa treatment.
The essence of the general drug psoriasis scalp treatment is to prescribe the following drugs:
- Nonspecific immunotherapy means: pyrogenal, ATP, aloe, etc .;
- Vitamin complexes;
- Immunomodulators: decaris, tactin, splenin, methyluracil, leacadin;
- Aromatic retinoids-etretinate, acitretin;
- Gemodeza solution for intravenous drip;
- Calcined autograft.
Inclusion of corticosteroid drugs and cytotoxic drugs in the course of psoriasis scalp treatment is advisable in cases of severe psoriasis and a significant severity of symptoms on the scalp. They must be used very carefully: such funds can provoke aggravation of the course of the disease.
You can treat psoriasis with antibiotics only in case of infectious damage of the scalp.
Drugs for topical psoriasis scalp treatment
Among medical preparations used for psoriasis scalp treatment of local psoriasis emergence there are:
- Keratoplastic ointments: ichthyol, sulfur-tar, naphthalanic, salicylic;
- lucocorticoid ointments - they are prescribed only for severe disease.
- An effective means of local psoriasis scalp treatment is Solkoderm. The composition of the drug includes concentrated acids. Solkoderm is released in the form of a solution, which should be treated with affected areas of the scalp.
PsoEasy Natural treatment for psoriasis scalp
PsoEasy company offers natural psoriasis scalp treatment. To achieve a superior effect, you should use three natural products of the PsoEasy series - soap, cream and oil.
- PsoEasy soap contains natural ingredients that accelerate the renewal of Zelln's skin. This special handmade soap is made using traditional methods that are based on a drying process of three weeks that the effectiveness of the active ingredients is increased.
- PsoEasy active cream is used to relieve dryness, itching, redness and heal the skin. This cream contains 21 natural ingredients, namely plant extracts, essential oils and minerals of the Dead Sea which makes psoriasis scalp treatment easier and more effective. The uniqueness of this cream consists in its having a high concentration of the active ingredient (about 39% .. or 40,000 mg / 100 g).
- PsoEasy mild natural oil is designed to relieve dryness, itching, redness and flaking of the skin. Natural oil provides the skin with enough moisture and contains sea-buckthorn oil, calendula oil, rosemary oil, tea tree oil and many other essential oils. Be careful! Oil can leave greasy stains on clothes.
Usage directions: wash your hands with PsoEasy soap every day in the morning and let it get soaked by the skin. Then apply PsoEasy active cream on the affected skin. Treatment lasts 14 days without interruption in order to releive psoriasis scalp. The cream can be used twice or more. Before going to bed, it is recommended to put a few drops of oil on PsoEasy spots. PsoEasy natural oil has to be used for 2 weeks.
Hair care suggestions
With psoriasis scalp, the hair needs special care. Following these rudimentary rules in combination with the necessary measures for psoriasis scalp treatment of the disease will help to achieve a significant improvement in treating this skin condition.
1. The hair and scalp should be washed with the recommended shampoo.
2. Use a comb with natural bristles only.
3. Conduct daily hygiene products processing with disinfectant solutions.
4. Comb the hair gently, very carefully so as to avoid damage to the plaques.
5. If it’s possible, use a hairdryer less often. Switch it on to medium temperature and keep it at a 30-centimeter distance from the head.
6. Avoid carrying out procedures in which it is possible to injure the skin affected by psoriasis and rashes. Do not use curlers, curling irons.
7. In case of severe illness, it is better to make a short haircut, because frequent use of ointments, creams strongly pollutes the hair, and they have to be washed daily.
8. If you have psoriasis, you should avoid complex hairstyles, styling and, if possible, pull your hair with an elastic band less often.
The hair needs special care. Observance of elementary rules in combination with the necessary measures for the psoriasis scalp treatment will help to achieve a significant improvement in the skin condition.
Proper nutrition with psoriasis scalp
Diet for patients with psoriasis, with the help of rational selection of dietary intake, is aimed at correcting metabolic processes disorder and prevent exacerbation of skin reactions.
Food for psoriasis should comply with certain principles:
- the products that can lead to allergic reactions are selected for each patient with their subsequent complete elimination from the diet are identified;
- Complete reduction of alcohol consumption;
- Eating small amounts of 4-5 times a day;
- The exclusion of consumption of fried, smoked and spicy food;
- Reduction in the use of table salt;
- Elimination of foods containing preservatives, emulsifiers, food colors, stabilizers, disintegrants and other artificial additives;
- No citrus fruits (exclude oranges, tangerines, lemons, lime, grapefruits from the diet);
- No digestible carbohydrates (products from higher grades of flour, sugar);
- Plant foods, except except for citrus, legumes and vegetables of the Solanaceae family is the category that is allowed to be consumed in large quantities for patients having psoriasis
- In nutrition, the predominance of cereals (buckwheat diet with psoriasis is very popular);
- Use of fermented milk products with low fat degree;
- In the daily diet it’s vital to include vegetable oils that provide dietary nutrition in psoriasis.
What you can not eat if you have psoriasis scalp? What you can eat with psoriasis scalp
When compiling a week menu for a week with psoriasis, experts suggest an option for a day:
- Breakfast: an omelet, dessert of boiled carrots, tea.
- Lunch: vegetable soup with rice, baked meat with buckwheat porridge, apple, a dried fruits dried.
- Dinner: skimmed cottage cheese with sour cream, vegetable pudding, white coffee
- Before going to bed it is recommended to use low-fat fermented milk.
There is an opinion that curative abstaining from food leads to normalization of metabolic processes. However, the opinions of scientists about the effectiveness of using this method diverge. Since the majority of patients’ lipid metabolism is disrupted, nutrition should be based on the choice of foods with limited amount of fat. Thus, the diet is often based on the use of simple, diverse and vitamin-rich foods.
Proper nutrition in psoriasis is based on following of dietary regimens. Many experts agree that it is necessary to limit spices, seasonings, strong broths.
Psoriasis And Stress Although psoriasis is a condition of the immune system, there are variety of triggers that can cause it to appear. One of those triggers is stress.
Psoriasis And Weather Some people with psoriasis find that weather can cause changes in their symptoms. So not to look for treatment for psoriasis, there are several techniques you can use to control flare-ups.
Psoeasy Combined With Other Treatments On a Clinical efficacy study that we made with a Dermatologist specialized with skin problems, we came to the conclusion that...
Sleeping With Psoriasis Very often the night is the most difficult and important time of the day in the life of people with psoriasis.
OTC Psoriasis Treatment The cure for psoriasis is likely a general term that combines a variety of drugs treatments for psoriasis that can only alleviate the condition of the skin, but does not cure psoriasis.