The term "seborrhea" in Latin literally means "salotherapy", that is, excessive sebum secretion.
So, what is seborrhea? Seborrhea is a change in the secretory function of the sebaceous glands and the chemical composition of the secret produced by them. Sebaceous glands disorder that leads to the development of seborrhea is a pathological condition, most often caused by hormonal imbalance. When skin fats discretion is disturbed, the bactericidal properties of the sebaceous secret are suppressed. This disease is widespread among adults and adolescents and it presents a serious aesthetic, psychological and medical problem, and is characterized by a chronic course with frequent relapses. If there’s no seborrhea treatment, the disease can be complicated by acne, seborrheic dermatitis and seborrheic eczema.
The question "What is seborrhea?" follows "What are seborrhea symptoms?" The clinical picture varies depending on the form of the disease. In the classical course of the disease, dry and then greasy seborrhea of the scalp on the occipital part of the head and up to the border of hair growth first arise. If there is no seborrhea treatment then smooth skin is affected.
- dry and tight skin, sometimes covered with small cracks;
- itching on the affected areas, especially after washing;
- small, dry and plentiful dandruff, which resemble oat flakes;
- peeling of smooth skin (on the face, shoulders, back of the neck) T- thin, brittle and dull hair with split ends;
- seborheids reddish specks on the affected skin.
- oily, thickened skin;
- enlarged, sometimes gaping pores and gums;
- Acne (on smooth skin);
- skin itching;
- dandruff in the form of stuck white and yellow flakes of different sizes;
- greasy hair;
- dense or liquid secret on the surface of seborrheic zones;
- sebaceous glands inflammation which emerges due to the their ducts blockage with clots of skin secretion and infection (scratching it with your hands, etc.);
- hair loss (with prolonged flow).
The symptoms of dry and fatty form of the disease emerge at the same time: the scalp becomes dry and flaky, the hair is thin and brittle, while the face, neck, upper back and chest are very greasy, shiny, with inflammatory elements.
A few words about the function of sebaceous glands
Each human being possesses sebaceous glands. In young children, most glands are in a dysfunctional state and their full functioning only begins during puberty. For the elderly it is characterized by a gradual decrease in the number of the skin structures mentioned above. Glands produce skin fat (sebum) which covers the skin surface of the skin with a thin layer and protects it as well as prevents the hair from drying out. With hyperfunction of the sebaceous glands which is triggered by certain causes, they begin to produce 1.5 times more sebum with a changed composition: a smaller amount of linoleic acid turns into an increase pH in your skin, which means that conditions for the activation of infections are created. With hypofunction of the glands, the skin becomes thinner, dries out and suffers no less than with their hyperfunction.
Seborrhea often accompanies conditions in which a natural change in the hormonal background occurs (menopause and pregnancy in women, puberty in adolescents) and is called benign or physiological since after the normalization of hormone levels, the manifestation of this disease goes away with the help of the right seborrhea treatment. Changes in the hormonal background can be caused by taking hormonal drugs (for example, contraceptives, anabolic steroids) - in this case there is also a risk of seborrhea. With some pathologies of the endocrine system, the development of seborrheic phenomena (dysfunction of the thyroid and sex glands, ovarian, testicle and adrenal tumors, diabetes mellitus) is possible. Predisposition to scalp affection is caused by paralysis of the trunk and cranial nerves as well as schizophrenia, Parkinson's disease, epilepsy. This disease is detected in 80 cases of patients with severe immunodeficiency, for example, patients with AIDS.
There are three clinical forms of the disease:
- oily - occurs with hyperfunction of the sebaceous glands and excessive secretion of sebum;
- dry - it develops with hypo-function of sebaceous glands and lack of sebum;
- mixed - this type of the disease is characterized by both hyper- and hypo-function of sebaceous glands, observed on the same skin areas.
Since this complex of symptoms may accompany a number of diseases, it is necessary to exclude their possibility during examination. Before the appointment of the main seborrhea treatment a patient must pass through narrow specialists:
- a dermatologist;
- a endocrinologist;
- a neuropathologist;
- an andrologist (male) and a gynecologist (woman), and get the appropriate appointment after the pathology of a particular organ has been detected.
Seborrhea treatment on sclap has an integrated approach and for many patients it becomes a lifelong lifestyle along with the recommendations that must be followed constantly to avoid exacerbations.
PsoEasy natural seborrhea treatment
PsoEasy company offers natural seborrhea treatment the perfect answer for: "What is seborrhea?" To achieve a superior effect, you should use three natural products of the PsoEasy series - soap, cream and oil.
- PsoEasy soap contains natural ingredients that accelerate the renewal of Zelln's skin which is very effective in seborrhea treatment. This special handmade soap is made using traditional methods that are based on a drying process of three weeks that the effectiveness of the active ingredients is increased.
- PsoEasy active cream to relieve dryness, itching, redness and heal the skin. This cream contains 21 natural ingredients, namely plant extracts, essential oils and minerals of the Dead Sea. The uniqueness of this cream is a high concentration of the active ingredient (about 39% .. or 40,000 mg / 100 g).
- PsoEasy oil is a mild natural oil aimed at eliminating dryness, itching, redness and flaking of the skin. Natural oil provides the skin with enough moisture and contains sea-buckthorn oil, calendula oil, rosemary oil, tea tree oil and many other essential oils. Be careful! Oil can leave greasy stains on clothes.
Usage: wash your hands with PsoEasy soap every day in the morning and let it dry out your skin. Then apply PsoEasy active cream to the affected areas. PsoEasy seborrhea treatment should be followed unceasingly for 14 days. The cream can be used twice or more. Before going to bed, it is recommended to put a few drops of PsoEasy oil on your skin. The oil should be used for 2 weeks.
Memo to the patient (Prevention)
Seborrhea treatment requires an integrated approach, which includes both the correction of nutrition and lifestyle changes.
How to treat seborrhea with lifestyle changes:
- it is recommended that all people with any form of the disease abstain from sweet, salty, fatty, spicy, smoked and fried foods. The ration is enriched with products rich in B vitamins, zinc, fiber (vegetables, greens, whole grains), low-fat fermented milk.
- brewer's yeast is recommended. It is necessary to quit such bad habits and smoking binge drinking alcohol.
- it is necessary to avoid stressful situations and exclude small worries.
- to reach emotional balance, it is recommended to have self-training as well as frequent walks in the forest area, changing the surroundings, etc.
- contrast temperatures and sudden changes in climatic conditions should be avoided.
- sun baths are useful for patients with seborrhea but in moderate amount.
- women should abstain from drying their hair, dyeing it, perming it.
- in case of smooth skin damaging, you should use special care cosmetics for oily or combination skin.
- you need to stop using tonics and lotions containing alcohol which on the one hand, remove greasy shine but, on the other hand, tighten and dry out the surface of the pores, leading to an even greater activation of the sebaceous glands which produce more sebum to moisturize the skin.
Surprisingly, it only takes following these recommendations to provide if not life-long but long enough remission of scalp and skin seborrhea and live a normal life without painful symptoms as well as stop constant looking for seborrhea treatment.
Scalp seborrhea requires a special shampoo which can be mono- or polycomponent and includes a number of components:
- antifungal (ketokonasole and other) that produce an annihilating effect on fungi;
- antibacterial (zinc pirithon, octopryrox) that hampers pathogen flora development
- peeling (сера, salicid acid),
- cleansing the skin surface of dandruff;
- vegetable ( birch tar, calendule, camomile, oak bark, argimony), improving the hair structure and strengthening its roots.
It is a generally accepted fact that seborrhea is likely to be observed in those fancy eating fried, fatty and sweet food which hampers the effect seborrhea treatment produces. Even if the the nutrition is not the cause of the sebaceous glands irregular activity, the right diet helps to improve the condition.
However, hormonal disorders are triggered by overeating, improper taste habits (eating too high-calorie foods without sufficient raw fruits and vegetables).
Under such conditions, the diet becomes the basis of seborrhea treatment, and gives a persistent therapeutic effect.
Let's list the products that are not recommended for seborrhea treatment:
- Sweets: candies, cakes, jam (all easily digestible carbohydrates are fertile ground for the reproduction of pathological fungi and bacteria).
- Buns: buns, white bread.
- Manna porridge, pasta.
- Marinades, smoked products, fast foods (they worsen the work of the intestines and disrupt the absorption of useful components).
Fatty varieties of meat, lard, fried foods (poorly digested, fill the liver with slag and require removing often through your skin).
What you can eat if you have seborrhea:
- Vegetables and fruits, berries, nuts and dried fruits.
- Fermented milk products (fermented baked milk, cottage cheese, sour milk, not whole).
- Dietary meat.
Let's list some ways of treating face and seborrhea:
Juice and pulp of aloe - leaves of this plant have a powerful antibacterial effect. Creams and ointments with aloe vera are produced using the leaves as the foundation. The effectiveness of aloe seborrhea treatment was confirmed by medical research - 62% of patients had their condition improved as the area of the lesions was decreased, the itching, the amount of dandruff decreased. Treatment of oily scalp seborrhea includes masks with aloe pulp. Treatment of the face and shoulders skin seborrhea includes the juice from aloe leaves
Tea tree oil is another natural antiseptic that has no side effects. In its pure form, oil has burning properties. This is why it’s added in shampoos, creams and lotions composition for seborrhea treatment.
Sea or table salt is the most famous and popular natural antiseptic. Salt is disinfected with water in public pools (analogous to chlorine seborrhea treatment), it’s also used for relieving infected wounds. To treat seborrhea use daily salt baths.
For rinsing hair with seborrhea, use apple cider vinegar which also contributed to effective seborrhea treatment. It normalizes the microflora of the scalp and limits the manifestation of infection (fungi, bacteria).
Mustard masks are used for scalp with seborrhea (not for long, up to 15 minutes, without honey, sugar and other sweeteners which is often added to the mask to enhance the burning effect).
Honey is used to treat (lubricate) the problem areas of the skin.
The herbal decoctions are used for drinking, rubbing your skin and taking common baths: chamomile, sage, string, nettle, burdock, St. John's wort which make great seborrhea treatment. Decoction of the oak bark, alcohol tincture of walnut peel are also in need for the outdoor use.
Treatment of scalp seborrhea is accompanied by UV-irradiation (in a solarium or in the sun). Sun rays neutralize pathological microorganisms and purify the skin.
Antifungal drugs are also used. They are used topically as lotions, ointments, balms, shampoos.
Complications and repercussions of seborrhea
If there's incorrect and late seborrhea treatment, the disease can significantly affect the conditionof your skin. Complications can be manifested in different ways, the nature of the symptomatology depends on the age of the patient. So, the repercussions of seborrhea that affected a patient in their puberty can stay with the patient for his or her whole life. Any violations of the hormonal background lead to disease exacerbation which is accompanied by the expansion of the pores, the appearance of black spots and teenage acne.
During the maturity period, the patient continues to develop acne vulgaris, and there’s a great possibility of seborrheic eczema. Secondary bacterial skin infections can accompany seborrhea: folliculitis, furuncles, pyoderma. The metabolism slows down at this age, the ability of tissues to recover is reduced, all this can result in inflamed pores getting scarred. As a result, so-called “craters” appear on your skin . They look like recesses, have a reddish shade and turn pale with time. The surface ofyour skin gets smooth very slowly, it remains bumpy and greasy for a long time. With no seborrhea treatment, this disease can spread to smooth skin.
For the elderly, the effects of seborrheic dermatitis are manifested through the formation of a large number of papillomas.
Over-the-counter medicine for psoriasis
The cure for psoriasis is a general term that comprises a range of drugs for this disease that can facilitate living with psoriasis but has no power to ultimately cure it.Get more info >>
Relation between psoriasis and stress
Even though psoriasis is an immune condition, one of its triggers can be stress. We offer you to get to know more about its impact on your disease.Get more info >>
Nature vibes and psoriasis
Weather can greatly influence your psoriasis. We have compiled a number of suggestions that can prevent a negative impact of the weather on your disease.Get more info >>
The effectiveness of PsoEasy products in treating various types of psoriasis
The outcome of the study on Clinical efficacy we conducted with our dermatologist tells the following...Get more info >>
How to fall asleep with psoriasis
Night is usually the hardest part the day to overcome for psoriasis sufferers. Here you can discover brand-new methods to make it far easier.Get more info >>